Our deposition experts created an easy step-by-step reference graph to get you started for your deposition in South Korea. Click on the infographic below to get a breakdown of the important guidelines:
International Deposition Tips: South Korea
1. Location Restrictions: Depositions of U.S. citizens can take place without restrictions or special permission. Prior permission is required to take depositions of Korean nationals and third country nationals.
2. Plan Early: Give yourself a minimum of 4 weeks to plan. The further you plan ahead, the more likely it is that you’ll be able to locate and book the right professionals for your deposition.
3. Visa Requirements: U.S. passport holders may enter South Korea for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.
4. Depo Venue: Depositions in South Korea can take place at the venue of your choosing, whether that be a hotel room, law firm office, conference room, or videoconferencing facility.
5. Depo Options – Attend In Person or Remotely? a.) Everyone can physically be present, or b.) schedule a videoconference facility – where attorneys can participate remotely at a videoconference facility, or c.) schedule with Optima Juris DepoAnywhere connection, where attorneys participate via a web-based videoconference in the comfort of their office or home. For more information on your available options please read our blog article, International Depositions: What are your options? (Updated 2017).
6. Get Region-based Deposition Services in South Korea: We have region-based court reporters for depositions in South Korea, which means lower travel costs for you.
7. International Travel Information for South Korea: Is the attorney traveling to South Korea for the deposition? Here’s a few essential travel tips:
- Currency: South Korea uses the South Korean Won
- General tipping: Tipping is not required nor expected in South Korea. But most major hotels add a compulsory 10% service charge to bills.
- Major airports:
Seoul/Incheon, Incheon International Airport, ICN
Gimpo, Gimpo International Airport, GMP
Yangyang, Yangyang International Airport, YNY
- For more detailed travel information please read our blog article, 7 Things to Know Before Traveling to South Korea for a Legal Deposition.
About Optima Juris
Optima Juris is the only U.S. agency exclusively dedicated to international depositions. We have been helping law offices across the globe find the highest-quality certified court reporters, legal videographers, and interpreters for over 17 years. If you should have any questions about international depositions, please do not hesitate to contact us or fill out a free quote to see how we can make your international deposition a complete success.
Follow us on social media for news, advice, info, and tips about international court reporters, interpreters, and language services: