Optima Juris covers depositions and arbitrations in Hong Kong all the time! Below, please find the latest official info on taking depos in Hong Kong, taken from the U.S. Department of State website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/judicial/country/hong-kong-sar-china.html :
In Hong Kong, most voluntary depositions are taken in hotels and offices and do not involve participation by the U.S. consular officer. Telephone depositions are permitted. Voluntary depositions may be conducted in Hong Kong regardless of the nationality of the witness, provided no compulsion is used. Oral depositions or depositions on written questions may be taken by U.S. consular officers or by private attorneys from the United States or Hong Kong at the U.S. Consulate General or at another location such as a hotel or office, either on notice or pursuant to a commission. If the services of a U.S. consular officer are required to administer an oath to the witness, interpreter and stenographer, such arrangements must be made in advance with the U.S. Consulate General directly.
What you need to know
- Taking U.S. depositions in Hong Kong is permissible and in general, you can depose willing witnesses in Hong Kong without any special formalities or involvement of foreign courts.
- Depositions in Hong Kong can take place at the venue of your choosing, whether that be a hotel room, law office, conference room, or videoconferencing facility. We encourage our clients to schedule their depositions in private locales, provided that both sides can agree to such and stipulate that the reporter can swear in the witness. Otherwise, the added hassle and expense of taking the deposition at the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong may be necessary.
- Optima Juris has locally-based court reporters for depositions in Hong Kong, that means no to very low travel costs for you and your client.
- Give yourself a minimum of 4 weeks to plan. The further you plan ahead, the more likely it is that you’ll be able to locate and book the right professionals for your deposition.
- Feel free to visit our website to see our latest blog posts and videos particularly concerning, ‘Administering the Oath’.
- Need to schedule a deposition in a different country? Please visit our YouTube video playlist, ‘International Deposition Tip Series’.
Have any questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us at any time! We’re more than happy to assist setting up depositions in Hong Kong or throughout Asia – we are among the leading providers of U.S. deposition services in the region.
Ian’s experience and expertise has made him the go-to source for understanding the issues and requirements for successfully arranging depositions outside of the U.S. As a valuable and active member of the international legal community, Ian regularly gives talks to law firms, domestic reporting agencies, and in-house legal departments on how to successfully set up and conduct legal depositions globally.
Ian is here to help! He wants every member of the legal community to achieve success when setting-up a depo in today’s rapidly globalizing world. So don’t be shy: get in touch with him today!
Latest posts by Ian Hardy (see all)
- Taking Voluntary Depositions of Willing Witnesses in Israel (Updated 2017) - December 13, 2017
- Taking Voluntary Depositions of Willing Witnesses in India (Updated 2017) - September 19, 2017
- Taking Voluntary Depositions of Willing Witnesses in Japan (Updated 2017) - August 22, 2017