Some countries have a few extra steps when it comes to scheduling depositions. India is one of those unique countries. Though prior permission from the Indian Central Authority is not needed when deposing U.S. citizens – it is required to depose Indian and Third Country Nationals. Another step to know is India requires that all U.S. citizens traveling to India will need to apply for a business visa. But don’t worry! Optima Juris has over 17 years of experience setting up depos in India and we put this easy to read infographic on how to set up a hassle-free deposition in India.
Here’s what you should know before scheduling a depo in India.
1. Location Restrictions: Taking voluntary depositions of U.S. citizens in India can be conducted without prior permission. However, voluntary depositions of Indian or third country nationals will require prior permission from the Indian Central Authority for the Hague Evidence Convention.
2. Plan Early: Give yourself a minimum of 4-6 weeks to plan, because it will take some time to get your business visa. The further you plan ahead, the more likely it is that you’ll be able to locate and book the right professionals for your deposition.
3. Visa Requirements: All U.S. citizens traveling to India will need to apply for a business visa before travel. To get a business visa you will need a Letter of Invitation from an Indian law firm or Indian company. For more information please visit: Official Partner of Embassy of India at Cox & Kings Global Services
4. Depo Venue: Once approved, depositions in India can take place at the venue of your choosing, whether that be a hotel room, law firm office, conference room, or videoconferencing facility.
5. Depo Options – Attend In Person or Remotely? a.) Everyone can physically be present, or b.) schedule a videoconference facility – where attorneys can participate remotely at a videoconference facility, or c.) schedule with Optima Juris DepoAnywhere connection, where attorneys participate via a web-based videoconference in the comfort of their office or home. For more information on your available options please read our blog article, International Depositions: What are your options? (Updated 2017).
6. Get Region-based Deposition Services in India: Although there are currently no certified, English-language court reporters or legal videographers based in India, you can have qualified personnel flown in from a nearby country. Don’t worry! Optima Juris has over 17 years of experience setting up depositions in India and can help you through the entire process.
7. International Travel Information for India
- Currency: India uses the Indian Rupee
- General tipping: On totals ranging from 300 to 1000 INR, you can tip anywhere from 7 to 10%. On bill amounts above 1000 INR, tipping 5 to 7% is sufficient. Restaurants in Delhi and Mumbai often charge a ‘service charge’, not to be confused with ‘service tax.’
- Major airports:
Bengaluru, Kempegowda International Airport, BLR
Chennai, Chennai International Airport, MAA
Hyderabad, Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, HYD
Kolkata, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, CCU
Mumbai, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, BOM
New Delhi, Indira Gandhi International Airport, DEL
About Optima Juris
Optima Juris is the only U.S. agency exclusively dedicated to international depositions. We have been helping law offices across the globe find the highest-quality certified court reporters, legal videographers, and interpreters for over 17 years. If you should have any questions about international depositions, please do not hesitate to contact us or fill out a free quote to see how we can make your international deposition a complete success.
Follow us on social media for news, advice, info, and tips about international court reporters, interpreters, and language services:
Latest posts by Karen Fahr (see all)
- Depositions in South Korea – International Deposition Tips - October 10, 2017
- Case Study: What happens when you mix a deposition in India and a volcano erupting in Iceland? - September 28, 2017
- Optima Juris Revamps CourtReporterIndia.com! Helping Legal Professionals Access Reliable Info on Setting Up Depositions in India. - September 21, 2017