Do I need a special visa to depose a witness in country X? | Optima Juris FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need a special visa to depose a witness in country X?

No, you don’t (the one exception to this rule is for Japan – please see below).

But you will definitely need a valid passport – make sure that yours is up to date, with at least six months of validity left on it. When traveling with an American passport, you can get into a lot of countries without applying for a visa beforehand. To check on the requirements for a particular country, simply Google “visa requirements for X,” where X is your country of interest, in order to find out what is needed.

Some countries require that you apply for a formal visa in advance, and it can often take several weeks to process your request. Specific documents, such as letters of invitation from the witness or client in the foreign country, may be required. If you’re not sure about what is needed or if you’re under a tight deadline to depose in a country with strict visa requirements, just let us know and we can recommend the best solution for your particular needs.

The only country we know of that requires a special “deposition visa” is Japan. You can read more about that requirement here.

Questions? Email us: